The Speaker of the Senate
Senate Chamber launches video broadcasting
March 14, 2019
Video broadcasting of Senate Chamber proceedings will begin on Monday, March 18, 2019 at 6 p.m., marking the first time in the Senate’s history that Canadians will be able to regularly watch senators at work in the Chamber. The decision to allow for video broadcasting is part of the Senate’s continuing commitment to transparency and accountability.
For many years, debates in the Senate have been live streamed in audio format. When preparing for the move out of Centre Block, senators ensured that video broadcast functionality was incorporated into the design of the temporary Chamber in the Senate of Canada Building. Most Senate committee meetings have been broadcast in video format and will continue to be available to stream via ParlVU.
The Senate is also pleased to confirm that the Cable Public Affairs Channel (CPAC) will broadcast Senate Chamber proceedings. CPAC provides a window on Parliament, politics and public affairs — an important public service that keeps Canadians informed about the work of their representatives.
The Senate will continue to live tweet key information about debates in the Chamber to keep Canadians informed about the vital work of senators. The Senate’s English- and French-language Twitter accounts provide key procedural information, plain-language summaries of bills and amendments, and vote results in real time.
Senators invite Canadians to tune in to this historic occasion.
- Video broadcasts from the Senate Chamber have taken place in the past, but doing so previously required the Senate to adopt a motion authorizing videographers to enter the Chamber for each activity.
- The Cable Public Affairs Channel (CPAC) will broadcast Senate Chamber proceedings on its television station; proceedings will be broadcast live on the Senate Portal of CPAC’s website.
- Proceedings in the Senate Chamber will be captured by seven remote-operated cameras and by two cameras in the ceiling.
“It is a great honour to preside over this Chamber at such a historic time. Video broadcasting is part of the Senate’s commitment to being a modern, open and transparent institution. It will allow Canadians to see for themselves how senators represent them in Parliament — and I think they will be impressed by the passion, commitment and depth of knowledge that senators contribute.”
– George J. Furey, Speaker of the Senate
- Watch live and recorded broadcasts of the Senate Chamber at ParlVU.
- Follow the Senate on Twitter.
- Sign up for the Senate’s eNewsletter.
For more information, please contact:
Office of the Speaker of the Senate | Senate of Canada
613-995-2891 | email@example.com