Psychedelic drugs show promise in treating PTSD, Senate subcommittee hears
Ottawa – The Senate’s Subcommittee on Veteran Affairs has been studying alternative therapies to support veterans suffering from treatment-resistant mental health disorders, such as PTSD, under its general mandate to examine and report on matters pertaining to Canadian veterans.
For veterans who have not responded to traditional treatments, psychedelic-assisted therapy using drugs such as psilocybin and MDMA have shown great promise and can have a lasting therapeutic effect that standard methods do not provide, according to expert witnesses. While interest in the therapeutic potential of psychedelic drugs has become increasingly evident, the subcommittee was informed that the restricted designation of these drugs has impeded the progress of study.
The subcommittee will hold more hearings on this subject and intends to release a report with recommendations. Anyone with relevant expertise or experience who wishes to contribute to this study is invited to contact the subcommittee at firstname.lastname@example.org.
“I believe any study conducted with the hope of relieving the terrible effects of PTSD is a study worthy of this subcommittee’s time.”
- Senator David Richards, Chair of the subcommittee
“In light of the testimony heard to date, I am optimistic that therapies are available to relieve our veterans of the trauma experienced as a result of their service to Canada.”
- Senator Pierre-Hugues Boisvenu, Deputy Chair of the subcommittee
- The committee has so far held three meetings on this topic: November 2, October 26, and April 27, 2022. Transcripts are available on the committee’s Meeting Schedule page.
- Read the subcommittee’s 2019 report, Canadian Veterans’ Use of Cannabis for Medical Purposes.
- Follow the subcommittee on social media using the hashtag #VEAC.
- Subscribe to email alerts for Senate committees.
- Sign up for the Senate eNewsletter.
For more information:
Communications Officer | Senate of Canada
343-548-6958 | email@example.com