Senator Larry W. Smith
- Province: Quebec (Saurel)
- Affiliation: Conservative Party of Canada
- Telephone: 613-996-8555
- Fax: 613-996-8565
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Staff: Beck, Nichole A. (P); Grenon, Monique (E); Preszcator, Regan (S); Kelly, Stephen (E); Bednarek, Kenneth (A)
- Personal Website: http://larrysmith.sencanada.ca/
As Senator, I work diligently to scrutinize the spending plans of government and review legislation with the goal of improving the efficiency of government for Canadian taxpayers.
Larry Smith is a widely-recognized and respected figure in Quebec. He graduated from Bishop’s University with a bachelor of arts in economics in 1972, and a bachelor of civil law degree from McGill University in 1976. He is well-known in Montreal from his days as a fullback with the Montreal Alouettes from 1972 to 1980, and as President and Chief Executive Officer of the same team from 1997 to 2001 and again since 2004. Working tirelessly to promote professional and amateur football, Mr. Smith also served as Commissioner of the Canadian Football League (CFL) prior to his first term as Alouettes’ President.
Outside of football, Mr. Smith has served on a number of civic charitable boards, including as Co-President of the 2001 Montreal Centraide Campaign and on the board of the Canadian Olympic Committee. He also has extensive experience in the business world, including positions with John Labatt, Ltd., and Ogilvie Mills, Ltd., before becoming CFL Commissioner. In addition he served as president and publisher of The Montreal Gazette in 2002 and 2003.
He has received numerous awards over the course of his careers, including the Commissioner’s Award for outstanding service and dedication in promoting and preserving the CFL (2001), the 1994 American Marketing Association-Toronto chapter Marketer of the Year (consumer products) and Sports Personality of the Year at the Quebec Sports Gala (1998). Mr. Smith was inducted into the Quebec Sports Hall of Fame on September 30th, 2015 under the category of "Builder for Football".
Mr. Smith resides in Hudson, Quebec, with his wife Leesa. They have three children and two grandchildren.
The following are ex officio members of all committees except for the Standing Committee on Ethics and Conflict of Interest for Senators and the joint committees:
- the Leader of the Government (Government Representative) and the Leader of the Opposition or, in the absence of either, their respective Deputy Leaders; and
Pursuant to the Order of the Senate of November 7, 2017:
- the Legislative Deputy to the Government Representative or the Government Liaison, in the absence of the Government Representative; and
- the leader or facilitator of any recognized party or recognized parliamentary group or, in their absence, the designated deputy leader or deputy facilitator.